my2wheels

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Field test

On a cold and windy morning, Mike and I went about doing a field test to see where we are in terms of fitness. This time, we chose a course in Pungo, as there is no way I would use Shore drive again for my riding.
This was more painful than I can remember. After 2 minutes in the first run, I was already gasping for air, my arms were aching and I wanted to stop and give up. This first run was into a Northwesterly wind of 17 mph with a temperature around 36, and it felt cold and miserable. I crossed the line after 3.16 miles and 12mn 12secs 3 at an average speed of 15.5 mph. What a disaster ! The only good news was that I maintained an average heart rate of 168 with a max at 173.
I thought the return would be a lot better since it was with either tail wind or cross wind. Alas ! Still more than 10 minutes (10:23.1), with an average speed of 18.4 mph over 3.18 miles. My heart rate was still at 166 average and max at 173.
All day I felt bitterly disappointed by those results. Last year, almost at the same time, I did an average of 18.89 mph as opposed to 16.85 this year, with an average HR of 170 and a max of 175. There was less wind last year (13 mph) and it was not that cold (50F). Yet, it is a drop of 10 % in performance. This damn accident was costly ! I will have to work harder than last year to regain a similar fitness in time for the Tour de France cyclotouriste.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home